Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Cycle 1 Day 1


Today we finally moved the life ball forward toward normal. I'm scheduled for six cycles of chemo, one every three weeks. The treatment process itself is very routine, but long (all day) in my case. The nurse spent the first couple hours installing the IV and administering a mix of pre-treatment drugs. That's followed by a couple hours dripping in Rituxin, the big killer. The last drugs are pushed in by the nurse, which took just 40 minutes.


If you're interested, here's the recipe for my R-CHOP cocktail:

Rituxin

Adriamycin

Cytoxoan

Prednisoe

Vincristine


You can scramble these words ten ways to spell the word "toxic."


Price tag for today's cocktail: $9,300. Pre-treatment and nursing care additional. Thank you.


I feel fine but I'm told to expect considerable fatigue within a couple days. Nausea will be controlled by Phenergan tablets if and when needed.


Within three weeks I'll proudly sport the Mr. Clean look.


Jen continues as my advocate, keeping everyone in line. She reviewed my files today (until confronted by my nurse) and tells me I'm categorized as a "pleasant 47 year old male patient." Outstanding. The files weren't spotted the rest of the day.

3 comments:

Warren said...

Pleasant?? Not if you're served meatloaf

Karen said...

Mark, You look great!!!!!!!!!!!! I can tell you are standing strong and ready to fight. Everything is moving so fast. That is really great! Keep up the good work. Remember one step at a time and we will see you on the rise. Oh and never invade a nurses space you may find out she is really human. P.S. you have the right to look at your chart when you want. I am sure your Dr will back you up on that!!! Here's to a little exercise and sun shine good nutrition a close family and friends and a total cure. You go boy friend!!! You are surrounded by love and prayers. Karen

Anonymous said...

Partner: Man, you sound good! I know it can't be pleasant, but I also know that you are committed.

As for the Mr. Clean look, let's face it, you might look better!! Just kidding.

A good woodworking friend of mine is working on something special for you. He's an artist, and that's all I'm gonna say for now. Just keep an eye on the mail next week. Hope you like it.

Mary and I toured Ottawa today. I'm sure that in a month this will be a beautiful city. Imagine, these folks have had 6 MONTHS of snow. Over 12 feet! You should see some of the artificial "snow mountains" where they have pile this stuff up. I'll take good old NC, thank you.

Praying for you. When you feel like talking, give me a call.

Hang in ther.